Subject: RE: pkg/9124: rar package does not build on i386
To: Martin Husemann <martin@rumolt.teuto.de>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/10/2000 02:23:59
On Mon, 10 Jan 2000, Martin Husemann wrote:

> Uhm, now that this has been implemented, its actually a lot better:
>
> --8<--
> You must have COMPAT_12 enabled in your kernel,
> else extraction (and running the program) will fail.
> /usr/pkgsrc/distfiles//rarbsd.sfx: 1: Syntax error: ")" unexpected
> -->8--

You mean that's the old error? It now installs fine on both 1.4P and
1.4.1, latest /usr/pkgsrc/mk, and latest pkg_install.

> But what I don't understand is: why is the exe format not recognized by my
> 1.4P system? Here is the start of a ktrace of /usr/pkgsrc/
>
>  16460 ktrace   RET   ktrace 0
>  16460 ktrace   CALL  execve(0xefbfd933,0xefbfd880,0xefbfd888)
>  16460 ktrace   NAMI  "/usr/pkgsrc/distfiles//rarbsd.sfx"
>  16460 ktrace   RET   execve -1 errno 8 Exec format error
>  16460 ktrace   CALL  __sysctl(0xefbfd338,0x2,0xefbfd330,0xefbfd334,0,0)
>  16460 ktrace   RET   __sysctl 0
>
> And then it tries to exec it as a shell script.
> I do have COMPAT_AOUT and /emul/aout set up, seti@home runs fine.
>
> Will COMPAT_12 actuall do the trick or is there more to it? I'll have to try
> it and will report back...

You may also need COMPAT_NOMID to run BSDI binaries (if you are to
believe the comment in GENERIC et. al.) I gather it's a BSDI binary
from running "strings" over it. The test for that would be "nm /netbsd
| grep exec_nomid". I leave all those enabled, myself, but if you
would care to figure out what the minimal set is, please let us know.