Subject: RE: pkg/9124: rar package does not build on i386
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@rumolt.teuto.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/10/2000 08:02:32
> then a lot of other things don't work, either. Ideally, you would test
> for the exact syscalls that the binary needs, with due consideration
> to the fact that it may be different on a.out and ELF--compat_12_lstat
> or aout_compat_12_lstat, for example--but this illustrates the idea.

Uhm, now that this has been implemented, its actually a lot better:

--8<--
You must have COMPAT_12 enabled in your kernel,
else extraction (and running the program) will fail.
/usr/pkgsrc/distfiles//rarbsd.sfx: 1: Syntax error: ")" unexpected
-->8--

But what I don't understand is: why is the exe format not recognized by my
1.4P system? Here is the start of a ktrace of /usr/pkgsrc/

 16460 ktrace   RET   ktrace 0
 16460 ktrace   CALL  execve(0xefbfd933,0xefbfd880,0xefbfd888)
 16460 ktrace   NAMI  "/usr/pkgsrc/distfiles//rarbsd.sfx"
 16460 ktrace   RET   execve -1 errno 8 Exec format error
 16460 ktrace   CALL  __sysctl(0xefbfd338,0x2,0xefbfd330,0xefbfd334,0,0)
 16460 ktrace   RET   __sysctl 0

And then it tries to exec it as a shell script.
I do have COMPAT_AOUT and /emul/aout set up, seti@home runs fine.

Will COMPAT_12 actuall do the trick or is there more to it? I'll have to try
it and will report back...

Martin