Subject: Re: turn on USE_INET6 by default
To: None <itojun@itojun.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/08/2000 14:37:49
On Sat, 8 Jan 2000 itojun@itojun.org wrote:

: 	One thing I fear is pissing off build of latest pkgsrc on top of
: 	1.4.1.  maybe bsd.pkg.mk needs to check for the NetBSD version
: 	it sits upon.

My opinion:

- USE_INET6 should only exist for pkgs whichhave _very_ different behavior
  in IPv4-only and IPv6-capable modes.

- Those pkgs which can not autodetect IPv6 presence through #ifdef or
  similar things, should use a different variable (HAS_INET6?) which is set
  via detection code in bsd.pkg.mk.

- Those pkgs which can autodetect IPv6 should compile in support whenever
  possible, regardless of USE_INET6 setting.  The code size difference, in
  every case I have seen, is negligible.

--
-- Todd Vierling (tv@pobox.com)