Subject: Re: Moving some script magic out of
To: None <>
From: David Brownlee <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/06/2000 02:50:21
On Thu, 6 Jan 2000, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Jan 2000, David Brownlee wrote:
> > 	This would hopefully make thinsg more maintainable also :)
> > 	What do people think?
> Actually, I think that exactly the opposite will happen. We've already
> moved things out of, and they became ~unmaintained.
	I was not aware of that - what did we move out?

> I know not enough about how make(1) works internally, but unless there's
> some hard prove this really buys us anything, i would prefer not to open
> this can of worms.

	A good example could be the code to generate README.html - its one
	shell command (with an embedded awk script), 49 lines, with no
	comments (due to the \ restriction). We could pull that out into a
	small, well documented shell script, which would take options on
	the command line and/or environment.

	The gain in splitting into 'modules':
		Scripts are easier to work on, could be run manually if wanted.
		The logic in the main .mk file is easier to follow.
		We can use comments in the scripts.