Subject: Re: PostgreSQL libraries
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jon Buller <jonb@paclink.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/04/2000 21:09:32
Thus spake D'Arcy J.M. Cain

[ stuff about "things" ending up in ${LOCALBASE}/pgsql instead of
  ${LOCALBASE} like they should... ]

Last year, when I hacked PostgreSQL, I got so fed up with the way
pkgsrc did things, I just blew it all away, and installed it straight
from the dist tar file by hand.  That was a (few?) revs back, and
I think the pkg system has been cleaned up some since then, but
the major things I hated were the install location, and the way it
thought it could poke around with addnerd.

It got the addnerd stuff all wrong, since I had put "nobody" at
the end of the password file, and it thought the next UID was
"nobody"+1...  I don't do that anymore, but I thought it was pretty
simplistic to not be able to deal with such a minor detail.

[ ELF stuff... ]

I have no opinion on this, as the pc532 is a.out only.  If I ever
get around to getting a bigger disk for my sparc and build it, I'll
let you know. 8-) BTW, consider my other comments as rantings of
the completely uninformed anyway... My dealings with pkgsrc, and
the "right" way to do things are small, however, I am open to being
enlightened...

Jon