Subject: Re: pkg/games questions
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/03/2000 15:34:40
[ On Monday, January 3, 2000 at 12:26:31 (-0500), mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: pkg/games questions
>
> This lets you upgrade the package without loosing high scores.  There is,
> unfortunately, one problem with this.  If the format of the high score
> file changes, it may create problems.  I don't have any great ideas on how
> to handle this issue.

If this is the way "we" want packages like this to work then it should
be the pkgsrc maintainer's responsibility to ensure there's a tool in
place that can recognize the old format and convert it (presumably
during the execution of the "INSTALL" script).  Hopefully there is
already such a tool in the original source, but if not then it probably
should be written and submitted back to the package's author/maintainer.
This might seem to be an extravagant thing for just a game, but after
all computer games are the training ground and demonstration ground for
many things.

What would be extravagant would be a "downgrade tool" that could be run
on de-install iff the original scores file was in the old format when
the package had first been installed!  :-)

--
							Greg A. Woods