Subject: Re: pkg/games questions
To: Thomas Klausner <wiz@danbala.ifoer.tuwien.ac.at>
From: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/03/2000 12:26:31
On Mon, 3 Jan 2000, Thomas Klausner wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I just imported Rocks'n'Diamonds 1.4.0 into the package tree.
> What I'd like to know is:
>
> a) Should hiscore files be deleted when a game is pkg_deleted?

there are a handful of game packages (xscrabble for example) which install
high score files.  The don't delete them when a game is pkg_deleted, but
rather spit out a message saying something like "please remove
/path/to/highscore_file if you don't plan on using this package again".

This lets you upgrade the package without loosing high scores.  There is,
unfortunately, one problem with this.  If the format of the high score
file changes, it may create problems.  I don't have any great ideas on how
to handle this issue.

If you do it this way, be sure to get the PLIST magic right so binary
packages install correctly (take a look at how some others do it).

-Dan