Subject: Re: pkgtools ver. (was Re: My prayers have been heared!)
To: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/17/1999 15:29:34
On Thu, 16 Dec 1999 mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Dec 1999, Rick Kelly wrote:
>
> > This has actually led me to a strange situation.
> >
> > The pkg tools seem to have stopped working.
> >
> > When I try to install suse_linux-6.1p1 from pkgsrc I get the
> > interesting message:
> >
> > ===>  Validating dependencies for suse_linux-6.1p1
> > Your package tools need to be updated to 1999/09/09 versions.
> > The installed package tools were last updated on 1999/08/23.
> > Please make and install the pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_install package.
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > When I do a make in: /usr/src/pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_install
> > it compiled okay, but "make install" returns immediately
> > to the shell prompt. If I cd to ./work/pkg_install and
> > do a "make install", the binaries install in /usr/sbin,
> > but something doesn't get updated, so it continues
> > to assume that I only have package tools from 1999/08/23.

Are you SURE they got installed into /usr/sbin? Did you check time stamps?
I expect they did NOT get installed into /usr/sbin. Why? Two reasons: 1) I
ran into this, and 2) the environment variable which says where to install
these packages, 'BINDIR', is only set in the
pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_install/Makefile file. If you just cd to
work/pkg_install, it wont' be set, and you'll end up installing into / (at
least that's what I did).

Good luck!

Take care,

Bill