Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc
To: Bernd Ernesti <netbsd@arresum.inka.de>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/17/1999 10:10:46
On Thu, Dec 16, 1999 at 08:33:49PM +0100, Bernd Ernesti wrote:
> Again, why do we need these tools on NetBSD?
>
> Isn't that for Solaris only?
>
> >From the README:
> The programs that can be built with this package are: cat, cksum, comm,
> csplit, cut, expand, fmt, fold, head, join, md5sum, nl, od, paste, pr,
> ptx, sort, split, sum, tac, tail, tr, tsort, unexpand, uniq, and wc.

I had to install then here because my users are used to GNU tools, especially
for writing sripts. The BSD ones don't have the same options or semantics.

I wouldn't use them myself, but I've already been able to convince them that
a NetBSD machine would be better than Solaris or Linux for the mail/www/ftp
server, don't ask too much in one time ! :)