Subject: Re: package into /usr/pkgsrc/packages.${MACHINE_ARCH} if ${OBJMACHINE}
To: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/05/1999 10:54:25
On Sun, 5 Dec 1999, Bill Sommerfeld wrote:

> Would you rather I just made the os-version/${MACHINE_ARCH} format the
> default?  Or use the os-version/${MACHINE_ARCH} format if OBJMACHINE
> is set?
>
> Right now, things are horribly broken if you have multiple arch's
> sharing a pkgsrc tree and try to build binary packages from more than
> one.  You may not do this, but the fact that we support putting
> MACHINE_ARCH in the work directory name means that we're at least
> pretending to support this configuration.

This is what I have in /etc/mk.conf at home, for sharing pkgsrc with
an i386 and a mac68k machine, both running 1.4.1+.

PACKAGES=	${PKGSRCDIR}/packages/${MACHINE_ARCH}

I should probably change that to

PACKAGES=	${PKGSRCDIR}/packages/`uname -r`/${MACHINE_ARCH}

now that the laptop (running current) sometimes shares that "pkgsrc".

> I want to fix this in a way which doesn't require me to do anything
> complicated in mk.conf, and especially not something which requires me
> to whack the files on each builder in different ways.  Please propose
> an alternate solution if you don't like any of what I've suggested.

I would support a single hook to do all that, but it's probably best
to leave the default alone, barring demands from users. Even depending
on OBJMACHINE is not entirely correct. WRKOBJDIR + OBJMACHINE, maybe,
but then why not just set one more thing?