Subject: Re: system-dependant PLIST
To: None <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/04/1999 14:58:42
On Sat, Dec 04, 1999 at 03:10:20AM +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> Be very careful about the ordering implications - I'd prefer not to go
> there.

Now that I've seen the communicator package maybe just defining a PLIST_SUBST
in the Makefile is the rigth thing to do for this.

> > Comments ?
>
> I think the right way here is to make your package always install it's
> files to eithr $PREFIX/lib or $PREFIX/share, and not different dirs on
> different archs. If auxilliary libs are needed on Solaris to get this,
> fine with me. See pkgs using libz, e.g. (cvs, ...).

For the present case I'm not sure this is possible. The locale systems
works in a different way on solaris and NetBSD, and the resulting files
are not architecture-independant on solaris (i.e. can't be shared between
solaris/sparc and solaris/x86). So they should go in lib/ for solaris
and in share for NetBSD.
Or are you suggesting to redo a locale system for solaris ?
I'm not sure this will give us less problems, each package will need patches
and the maintenance cost will be awfull.

> The goal here is to get the systems in sync, not to bend the pkg system
> over backwards to include any such broken pkgs. (We've had enough problems
> of that sort :-)

The pkg is not broken, it's just the systems behaving in a different
way. We should handle this.

And please don't say we should give up on pkgsrc for other systems.
Using the same tree for both NetBSD and Solaris (I didn't try linux yet :)
is really good from a PR point of view. This shows NetBSD as an open-minded
system, in which interoperability with others is important.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>