Subject: Re: /usr/pkg/var
To: None <>
From: None <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/02/1999 09:07:27
On Thu, 2 Dec 1999, Christoph Badura wrote:

> writes:
> >I noticed that mysql-server wants the directory /usr/pkg/var to exist to
> >store pid's of the running mysqld.  Should the package be modified to
> >create this directory?
> I don't think mysql-server uses that directory.  The pid file
> is stored in /var/mysql.

actually, I have to disagree with that.  I build mysql-server from pkgsrc
(of a few days ago) and when I started it with
'/usr/pkg/share/mysql/mysql.server start', I got an error in
/var/mysql/my-machine-name.err that said:

991201 21:49:06  /usr/pkg/libexec/mysqld: Can't create/write to file
'/usr/pkg/var/' (Errcode: 2)

and then '/usr/pkg/share/mysql/mysql.server stop' complained about not
being able to find /usr/pkg/var/

Then I did 'mkdir /usr/pkg/var' and tried again, everything worked and
also I saw /usr/pkg/var/ appear.

oh, actually I see where it is.  In /usr/pkg/share/mysql/mysql.server
there is a line:

Should I be using something else to start mysqld?  I have to admit this is
my first attempt at using mysql.