Subject: Re: vim pkg(s) and USE_X11
To: Antti Kantee <pooka@iki.fi>
From: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/26/1999 12:17:06
On Fri, Nov 26, 1999 at 05:58:40PM +0200, Antti Kantee wrote:
> We now have two packages for vim which both contain USE_X11. This is
> quite silly, because vim is a excellent tool which contains a gui only
> as a plus. People without X11 client libs have the options of either
> hacking the package or not using vim.

There are a lot of packages like this - that include huge things -
perl, X, tcl/tk ... to enable optional features.

Would it be reasonable to have a mk.conf option - either a general

MINIMAL_INSTALLS = yes

or a specific

NO_X11 = yes
NO_PERL = yes

It does mean each package may have to be 'built' two or more ways.
I'd rather see more packages now, than slow down package creating
by making it more complex, but it would be nice to plan this for
sometime later.

All this stuff in twice the space would only look half as bad!
					      - me