Subject: Re: [Frank da Cruz : Re: Kermit and NetBSD]
To: Frank da Cruz <fdc@watsun.cc.columbia.edu>
From: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/23/1999 16:25:40
On Tue, Nov 23, 1999 at 01:28:28PM -0500, Frank da Cruz wrote:
> As noted earlier, you make a distinction between "base NetBSD", all of
> which has a consistent license, and "third-party packages", which might
> have different licenses, no?  If so, doesn't that cover this case too?

Yes. Currently, if someone retrieves and sets up pkgsrc, they have the:

list of ftp sites where the .tgz is available
a set of patches
some descriptive text
some Makefiles

Choosing to install a package consists of having the right
ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES=
line in their /etc/mk.conf

By Kermit's License, is it acceptable to distribute the .tgz file on
a cdrom, such that a user gets a message like this:

===>  kermit-6.0.192 Unacceptable license: no-commercial-use - set ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES in /etc/mk.conf to include no-commercial-use to make this package.

(I'm sure we could make minor changes to that wording, if that's needed.)

This is currently the way we handle 'licensed' open-source software (like ssh).

(About an Amiga rendering landscapes) It's not thinking, it's being artistic!
					      - Jamie Woods