Subject: Re: one package replacing files in another
To: None <marc@mit.edu>
From: Christoph Badura <bad@oreilly.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/23/1999 00:08:35
marc@mit.edu (Marc Horowitz) writes:

>is there a "right way" to deal with a package which replaces files in a nother
>package?  in particular, I want to create a package for a newer Getopt::Long
>than the one which ships with perl.

I've played with that a while ago for an updated p5-CGI module.  I think with
a pre-install and post-deinstall script you should be able to squirrel away
the overwritten files in /var/db/pkg/$PKG_NAME directory and restore them on
deinstall.

Of course, there will be the usual problems with the db(3) database, but
nothing a 'pkg_admin rebuild" couldn't fix. :-)

--
Christoph Badura					www.netbsd.org

	Anything that can be done in O(N) can be done in O(N^2).
	-- Ralf Schuettau (after looking at a particular piece of code)