Subject: Re: Suggested change to README.html generation: tables for binaries
To: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/06/1999 21:25:35
On 6 Nov 1999, Nathan J. Williams wrote:

> The big downside I see to this patch is that it makes the pages much
> less readable with non-table-aware browsers (Lynx, for example). I
> don't know what we expect the audience of this HTML to be,
> really. It's been suggested that the people who look for binary
> packages on a web page and the people who use non-table-aware browsers
> may be completely disjoint sets.

I think that's not true at all. There are not many good table aware
browser for mac68k, for instance. (w3m and arena are both a little
buggy.)

> Finally, the ordering of the versions (as suggested by a couple of
> folks) puts the latest release on the left, and decreasing across, and
> then the -current packages for various versions all the way on the
> right. The idea was to make the "most popular" versions the leftmost
> ones.

Sounds reasonable to me.

> You can look at the audio/mpg123 page generated by this code at
> http://www.mit.edu/people/nathanw/netbsd/mpg123-new.html (contrast to
> ../mpg123-old.html).

In arena, the empty 1.3.1 column has an extra `1' on the line below,
and I don't see any lines in the table--is that intentional? More
seriously, the bottom matter is scrunched up off to the right of the
table, instead of starting on the left and going across.

Isn't there a way to deliver alternate html to browsers that don't
support tables?