Subject: pkgsrc: nfs-mounted
To: None <>
From: Berndt Josef Wulf <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/01/1999 00:52:48

I am building packages for a variaty of hardware platforms. To save
disk-space, the pkgsrc-tree is located on my fileserver and is nfs
mounted whenever needed.

The problem here is, that I may want to compile a package on a
DEC-Alpha which was previously built on a i386 platform. Being lazy I
normally would type "make install". The problem is that it will
install the i386 binaries onto the alpha platform.

Wouldn't it be possible to create a token in the work directory which
would reveal that the intended install is incompatible with the previous
built on a i386 - e.g. work/.configure_done_i386 work/.build_done_i386
etc. pp.? In this case, a check could be carried out and in case of
a conflict broadcasts a warning and kill the process..

It's just an idea after being falling for this trap a few times...

What do you think?

cheerio Berndt
Name    : Berndt Josef Wulf            | +++ With BSD on Packet Radio +++
E-Mail  :             |    tfkiss, tnt, dpbox, wampes
ICQ     : 18196098                     |  VK5ABN, Nairne, South Australia
URL     : | MBOX :
Sysinfo : DEC AXPpci33+, NetBSD-1.4    | BBS  : vk5abn.#lmr.#sa.aus.oc