Subject: Re: pkgsrc: nfs-mounted
To: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@dingo.ping.net.au>
From: D'Arcy" "J.M. <darcy@druid.druid.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/31/1999 09:53:59
Thus spake Berndt Josef Wulf
> The problem here is, that I may want to compile a package on a
> DEC-Alpha which was previously built on a i386 platform. Being lazy I
> normally would type "make install". The problem is that it will
> install the i386 binaries onto the alpha platform.

Just set WRKOBJDIR in /etc/mk.conf to a local directory and your build
will happen locally rather than on the NFS mounted drive.  If you are
that short of space you can still point it to a platform specific spot
on the NFS mounted drive.

See man packages for more information.  Here is an excerpt.

     WRKOBJDIR
               A top level directory where, if defined, the separate working
               directories will get created, and symbolically linked to from ~
               ${WRKDIR} (see below).  This is useful for building packages on
               several architectures, then ${PKGSRCDIR} can be NFS-mounted
               while ${WRKOBJDIR} is local to every arch.