Subject: Re: packages directory
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
From: David Brownlee <abs@mono.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/29/1999 12:18:57
On Fri, 29 Oct 1999, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Oct 1999 mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu wrote:
> > I'll give it about a day or so and unless I get major objections, make the
> > change.
>
> 1. What you want can be put into /etc/mk.conf right now, too.

	Agreed, but I would prefer to see a 'better' default.

> 2. I see no use to encode the OS version there for individual users.
>    Esp. people running current will end up with many unneeded subdirs
>    in which packages are put.

	This will only affect those who build binary packages. When I
	built binary packages on machines that tracked current I
	specifically put the ${OS_VERSION} in, as I wanted to ensure
	I got the _right_ package.

	As for the unneeded subdirs - what better way to be able to tell
	which packages you can delete when you move all your machines off
	a given OS version.

> 3. For the architecture, I'd like to see that put in if OBJMACHINE is set.
>    Anyone dealing with multiple machine who didn't set this will have
>    a problem sooner or later anyways.

	Well, I nfs mount pkgsrc across all hosts and set WRKOBJDIR
	to a local dir in each case to reduce compile time/network
	traffic. I haven't had a problem yet...

> 4. Did you test what will happen if we switch that variable to
>    existing setups?

	People who use binary packages, and who to not set PACKAGES
	will find old packages in ${PKGSRCDIR}/packages/ and new
	in ${PKGSRCDIR}/packages/${OS_VERSION}/${MACHINE_ARCH}

> 5. Esp., did you test if, if there's no directory, it will be
>    generated properly?

	"Works for me" :)

> 6. What documentation will need updating for this?

	Packages.txt and probably htdocs/software/packages.list

> Last, I'd prefer not to get into the "shout NOW or I'll shoot!"  mentality
> with any proposals here. We've had that often enough here, and most of
> the time it had suboptimal results. Thanks.

	It might have been better as "shout _soon_ or I'll shoot!" :)

		David/absolute