Subject: Re: automatic package statistics
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
From: Jon Miner <miner@doit.wisc.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/17/1999 12:56:41
* Hubert Feyrer (feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de) [991014 11:36]:
> On Thu, 14 Oct 1999, Tim Rightnour wrote:
> > I think the right thing to do is write a perl script that looks at the logs for
> > ftp.netbsd.org, and records how many times that distfile is downloaded, or
> > attempted to be downloaed. (if that one is in the logs, not sure).
>
> This is very very true - the ftp server's logs should be really used for
> some statistics. Maybe I should find time to continue that project ...

The only problem then becomes people like me who use sup to get the
entire pkgsrc tree on a weekly basis..  What wouuld that do to the
stats?  Did I download an install all of the packages?  When the
packages themselves are made, the sources are downloaded from their home
ftp sites, not ftp.netbsd.org, so you would have no idea if/when I
installed something.

If all of the packages themselves were kept on the NetBSD mirrors and
then the logs analyzed, it might make sense..  In any case, it doesn't
give any info about the os version/hardware ..

jon

--
Jonathan J. Miner-------------------Division of Information Technology|
miner@doit.wisc.edu                  University Of Wisconsin - Madison|