Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/13/1999 13:15:53
Christoph Badura <bad@oreilly.de> writes:

> explorer@flame.org (Michael Graff) writes:
> >For one, we can't distribute it as a binary, IMHO -- it probably
> >infringes on patents in mp3 encoding.
>
> The fact that we can't put a binary pkg for some piece of software up
> for anon-ftp is not an argument against a binary pkg.  We can't do that
> for all the packages that contain crypto code, either.  Also, binary pkgs
> are useful for internal use too.

Point taken.

> >For two, I don't think this is any different than postgresql using tk
> >-- that is optional, too, but most people just won't care.  Those who
> >do can build from source :)
>
> How do you know?

I've watched people install linux.  They just click on "get
everything" and expect all the bells and whistles to be there.

> Personally, I don't see why I should have to upgrade postgresql just
> because tcl got upgraded.

I'm not concerned about postgresql, I was just using that as an
example.  Besides, postgresql uses ncurses, libreadline, and other
things that will get upgraded from time to time I suspect.

So, what should I do about lame and gtk+ GUI bits?

I didn't split them, since I don't want to have to install one as
"lame" and another as "lame-gui" -- that's just, well, lame.  And if I
choose to split them and make them conflict with one another as I had
before, I cannot build both with "cd audio ; make install" anymore
anyway.  So, which is the default?  And if there is a default, why not
have just one with build options?

--Michael