Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc
To: None <explorer@flame.org>
From: Christoph Badura <bad@oreilly.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/13/1999 22:06:36
explorer@flame.org (Michael Graff) writes:
>For one, we can't distribute it as a binary, IMHO -- it probably
>infringes on patents in mp3 encoding.

The fact that we can't put a binary pkg for some piece of software up
for anon-ftp is not an argument against a binary pkg.  We can't do that
for all the packages that contain crypto code, either.  Also, binary pkgs
are useful for internal use too.

>For two, I don't think this is any different than postgresql using tk
>-- that is optional, too, but most people just won't care.  Those who
>do can build from source :)

How do you know?

Anyway, if you don't care, you can just go to /usr/pkgsrc, "make
install" and you won't notice the difference.

Personally, I don't see why I should have to upgrade postgresql just
because tcl got upgraded.

--
Christoph Badura					www.netbsd.org

	Anything that can be done in O(N) can be done in O(N^2).
	-- Ralf Schuettau (after looking at a particular piece of code)