Subject: Re: automatic package statistics
To: Julian Assange <proff@iq.org>
From: Kevin Schoedel <schoedel@kw.igs.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/13/1999 14:08:00
Julian Assange <proff@iq.org> wrote:
>I've never had any feedback on whether people use these or not. I am
>wondering whether they are worth maintaining (they were certainly a
>gargantuan effort to create). I feel certain that other pkg authors
>are also in the same boat. I propose therefor, that bsd.pkg.mk and
>pkg_add be modified to send pkg.netbsd.org a single udp packet (with
>uname -a, and package info) under the following circumstances:

Please don't. Not everyone has a network connection for which a
single udp packet is 'free'. Consider for example someone whose box
makes a demand-dialled call at peak rate to send you that packet.
Or someone whose network is temporarily broken and has to wait for
a DNS lookup to time out.

I can see, though, that this mechanism might be useful for sites who
wish to track package operations themselves.

Something that would address both cases: have the target address
configurable and default to localhost. I'd prefer mail, actually,
(again defaulting to a local destination) since it's easier to
process and filter.

--
Kevin Schoedel
schoedel@kw.igs.net