Subject: Re: postgresql and dependancies.
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/07/1999 17:39:10
[ On Thursday, October 7, 1999 at 15:07:49 (+0200), Hubert Feyrer wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: postgresql and dependancies.
>
> On Wed, 6 Oct 1999, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > With a tiny fix to configure.in the following works rather well for
> > controlling readline support in postgres-6.5.1:
> >
> > .if defined(USE_READLINE)
> > DEPENDS+=       readline-2.2:../../devel/readline
> > CONFIGURE_ARGS+= --enable-readline=yes
> > .else
> > CONFIGURE_ARGS+= --disable-readline
> > .endif
>
> Um, the question was how to teach configure/autoconf to automatically use
> *our* (NetBSD) readline-clone, not how to teach it to use the readline
> package (spp. not with yet another useless switch :).

Yeah, that would be nice, but it didn't seem to work out-of-the box and
since it's a commonly enough wanted feature (at least amongst my users)
it seemed to be much more appropriate to just use what it expected than
to dive in and try not to introduce new bugs.

If I were a postgresql hacker I might have done the NetBSD thing for it,
but in this case I just built it to spec for others to use.

--
							Greg A. Woods