Subject: Re: change to makepatchsum
To: Alistair G. Crooks <agc@ftp.netbsd.org>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/06/1999 18:12:11
"Alistair G. Crooks" wrote:

> > Anyone not happy with the following change to makepatchsum, so that it
> > doesn't update the patchsum file if none of the sums change?
>
> The only reason that I'm not happy with this is that I can't see
> any reason for it.  If the patches haven't changed, then there's
> no reason to regenerate the patch-sum file.  If they have changed,
> then the new patch-sum file will need to be generated or the new
> patches will not be applied. The only time I did a mass generation
> of patch-sum files was when I generated them in the first place.
>
> Obviously I'm missing something here.
>
> So why is this patch necessary?

My argument is that "make makepatchsum" needn't break something that
isn't broken.  If you run that over a tree, it can be a handy mechanism
to check which patch-sum files are broken - as it is now, it will modify
every patch-sum file even if it doesn't need to.

Possibly makesum could use the same treatment, but that one hasn't
bitten me yet...

Simon.