Subject: Re: pkgsrc-current supported on 1.3.X?
To: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@quick.com.au>
From: Christoph Badura <bad@oreilly.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/23/1999 14:09:24
Simon J. Gerraty wrote:
> > It's completely safe because I only install binary packages on
> > production machines, which means I can just reinstall the old version.
> > That's why binary packages are a very important feature to me.

> If you only have one machine of the given architecture you still have
> a problem.  You cannot build a new pkg until you uninstall your backup
> software.

True.  OTOH, I'm not sure I buy your argument.  ISTM that you are
basically arguing that if the FS which LOCALBASE resides on blows up
duing the build, you can't get at your backups.  Well, if the FS which
LOCALBASE resides on blows up at any other time, you can't get at your
backups.  I don't see the risk increase significantly.

--
Christoph Badura					www.netbsd.org

	Anything that can be done in O(N) can be done in O(N^2).
	-- Ralf Schuettau (after looking at a particular piece of code)