Subject: Re: where to put word processor packages, etc. (was: CVS commit: pkgsrc)
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/04/1999 19:20:31
Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com> writes:
> I don't see how adding more categories will makes things any clearer.

Thought experiment: what if we just put everything in one directory?
Would that make things clearer, or less clear? If you say "less
clear", perhaps the notion that having things in appropriate
categories helps makes sense.

Personally, I don't think of spread sheets as "math" or word
processors as printer programs. Having a "desktop applications" or
"office" category is where I would logically look for such things.

More categories, especially if they are well named, *can* help.

Perry