Subject: Re: make update
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
From: Rene Hexel <rh@idle.trapdoor.vip.at>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/28/1999 09:34:37
Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> Don't forget Packages.txt, please. (I think there's more to update - don't
> we have some manpages for that stuff too? packages(?) ...)

  No worries, I will update Packages.txt and packages(7) as well.  If
anybody can think of any other files, please let me know ...

> > +     ${_PKG_SILENT}${_PKG_DEBUG}${MAKE} reinstall
>
> Why "reinstall"? "clean" & "${INSTALL_TARGET}" seem more safe to me (I
> usually have INSTALL_TARGET=package ...).
>
> "make reinstall" may end up re-installing (hence the name :-) a old
> version still flying around.

  You are correct, of course.  However, I suggest that we alternatively
allow 'reinstall' as well, for the following reason:  Once 'make clean'
and 'make deinstall' have been executed, "${WRKDIR}" is lost, and so is
the list of currently installed packages depending of the package you
want to update.  This can be a hassle if the update process doesn't
finish (e.g., because some of the newly introduced packages don't
install cleanly yet, you hit ^C for some reason, etc.).

  What about a 'REINSTALL' (or similar) variable?

  make update REINSTALL=1

  would then omit to 'make clean', similar to 'make build UPDATE=1' in
the main source tree.

  Cheers
      ,
   Rene