Subject: Re: name collision for ${PREFIX}/bin/gs
To: Brook Milligan <brook@biology.nmsu.edu>
From: Jim Bernard <jbernard@ox.mines.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/26/1999 12:37:51
On Thu, Aug 26, 1999 at 08:16:50AM -0600, Brook Milligan wrote:
> Both the ghostscript5 and the pvm3 packages install a file by the name
> of ${PREFIX}/bin/gs; although, the pvm3 package does not include this
> in the PLIST.  Not being a pvm user just yet I have no idea what this
> file does so I can't suggest a fix.  Perhaps just a rename of the file
> will work, but I'm not sure how that will affect the rest of pvm.
>
> In any case, it seems that this name collision is a bad thing that
> should be resolved between these two packages.

  I recently installed pvm 3.4.1 on an AIX box (not from a NetBSD package,
of course), and there's no such file in the installation.  Is it possible
that this is just a link to or copy of pvmgs (which does appear in the
package PLIST), hence something that could easily be eliminated?

  BTW: IIRC, version 3.4.1 is more recent than the package version, which
is 3.4.beta7, though the package name is 3.4.7, which puts it out of
sequence in the version hierarchy.  Maybe simply updating the package will
fix the name collision (no gs in 3.4.1), though I don't know how the
package system will deal with 3.4.1 being a more recent version than the
one dubbed 3.4.7 internally.  Maybe package version numbers should be
completely independent of author-established version numbers, which have
a tendency sometimes not to be easily ordered.