Subject: Re: DIST_PATH [was: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc ]
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/23/1999 11:16:54
Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Aug 1999, Simon Burge wrote:
> > > #DIST_PATH=    /cdrom/0/distfiles:${HOME}/distfiles
> > Is it possible to extend this so that DISTDIR doesn't need to be
> > written to (for the symlink)?  My machines read-only nfs mount a
> > mirror of ftp.netbsd.org - it'd be great to say:
> >
> > 	DISTDIR=/ftp/pub/NetBSD/packages/distfiles
> > 	DIST_PATH=${DISTDIR}/LOCAL_PORTS:/some/other/dir
>
> Where would you expect files to be put that you don't have anywhere if
> DISTDIR isn't writeable? R/o $DISTDIR sounds broken to me, sorry.

I've had _very_ few problems where the files weren't in the NetBSD
distdir.  The only one that comes to mind is ssh, and I use

	make DISTDIR=/ftp/pub/security/ssh

which is where I mirror the ssh stuff locally.  Other than that, it just
works...

I'd be happy to have DISTDIR=$HOME/distfiles, and put the NetBSD
distfiles directory (the read-only one) in DIST_PATH, iff that directory
wasn't polluted with symlinks.  Now, it we don't put arbitary symlinks
in DISTDIR, it doesn't matter if it's read-only :-)

Simon.