Subject: Re: libcurses won't build
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@iafrica.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/22/1999 12:09:37
On Thu, 22 Jul 1999, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> ftp http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp/ntp_spool/testing/ntp-4.0.94.tar.gz
>
> immediately redirects to ntp-4.0.94a.tar.gz, same site, which is an
> entirely different file, different checksum.

I suggest that we add a "don't follow HTTP redirects" option to ftp.
Following redirects to an URL with a different basename is always(?) the
wrong thing for fetching a distfile.  Following redirects to an URL with
the same basename but different server or directory name might often be
OK, but if it ever happens then it's a sign that the MASTER_SITES in the
pkg's Makefile is out of date.

--apb (Alan Barrett)