Subject: Re: libcurses won't build
To: Reinoud Zandijk <zandijk@cs.utwente.nl>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/20/1999 11:12:30
On Tue, 20 Jul 1999, Reinoud Zandijk wrote:

> Last night I tried to install www/lynx on a Sun SPARCstation-SLC, but the
> building of the new 1.3.7 libcurses failed due to a missing archive in the
> fetch-list.

You mean libslang-1.3.7, right?

> One of the servers (1st or 2snd) replied with a `not found' page. As a
> result the package didn't looked elsewere, but reported it couldn't find
> the archive it presumably downloaded. I had to manually download it from
> NetBSD.Org and put it in /usr/pkg/distfiles myself.

It's hard to figure out exactly what happened from your description.
The libslang package downloads only one file, so if it were on the
first server that would have been the end of it. Next time, try
"script mklog" before "make install; exit". That will save all the
output in the file "mklog" so you can examine it later.

FAILOVER_FETCH=yes in /etc/mk.conf seems to work as expected. Don't
remember exactly what happens without it.

> Should I report this as a bug-report?
>
> Is there anybody looking at/solving bug-reports lately? I see lots of very
> outdated bugreports in f.e. port-i386; way out of date, but never
> deleted.... I tend to tackle a bug when I come acros one, but my knowledge
> of the package system is a bit poor... maybe I ought to investigate it!
> :-)

When a site opens a log with the support organization I work for,
someone call's every eight hours, around the clock, until the log is
closed--often by a person who has no knowledge of the case and is
simply tired of getting phone calls. Food for thought. :)

> BTW it detected the old libcurses a bit late... could it be detected
> before it tries to install :-))

Chances are that's because it's looking for libslang and not libcurses.