Subject: Re: The well known patch problem
To: None <tron@lyssa.owl.de>
From: Alistair G. Crooks <agc@ftp.netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/07/1999 04:32:30
> In article <199907061011.MAA27289@vader.runit.sintef.no>,
> 	Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no writes:
> >  The patches are apparently out of sync with the sources.
>
> Indeed, but only in your local copy of the package sources. Possible
> reasons for this problem are:
>
> - You sup without the "-d" or "delete" option.
> - You download "pkgsrc.tar.gz" and did not remove the package source tree
>   before extracting the new one.

Matthias is right - these are the causes of the problem.

But the fact that we get a fair number of these type of problems
would suggest to me that the whole procedure is incorrect, and
could do with some checks.

And so to suggestions, most of them off the top of my head, and
therefore gibberish:

1. Use md5 to record official patch file names and md5 sums in the
files/md5 file.

2. Record the official patch file names either in the package
Makefile or in an ancillary file.

3. Only recognise a patch file according to some criteria, to be
decided at a later date.

4. Prefix patch files with a number related to the package version
in pkgsrc which it patches.

5. Plod on the way we've been doing

I'm open to other suggestions, and/or other ways to avoid the
problem which keeps cropping up.

Thanks,
Alistair