Subject: Re: Proposal: Sort order for MASTER_SITES
To: Martin J. Laubach <mjl@emsi.priv.at>
From: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/17/1999 00:04:06
On Thu, Jun 17, 1999 at 02:35:11AM +0200, Martin J. Laubach wrote:
>   This has been on my wishlist for quite some time...
>
>   The problem is that the MASTER_SITES list is in some arbitrary
> order, and very probably far from optimal in terms of using the
> topologically nearest mirror. For MASTER_SITE_{XCONTRIB,GNU,PERL_CPAN}
> etc. this can be set, but a more general approach seems appropriate.
>
>   Rene and I have worked out a small addition to bsd.pkg.mk which
> allows for sorting the MASTER_SITES list according to some given
> preference, based on regular expressions.
>
>   To define the sort order, define a list of regular expressions
> in order of decreasing preference, like this
>
> 	MASTER_SORT= //.*\.at\.netbsd\.org/ //.*\.at/ //.*\.(de|ch)/
>
>   and the MASTER_SITES list will be adjusted accordingly.
>
>   Comments?

What about a step in installing pkgsrc (once, at the first un-tar,
or somesuch) that would test hops and/or throughput to the master
sites? It could then order those entries to give the user better
performance, and probably save net bandwidth too.

All this stuff in twice the space would only look half as bad!
					      - me