Subject: Re: Proposal: new binary package format
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@lyssa.owl.de>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/31/1999 14:42:36
On Mon, 31 May 1999, Todd Vierling wrote:

: : > While we're at it it would be nice if pkg_add could be told to not add
: : > 'shareables files' (e.g. /usr/pkg/share/...).
: :
: : How do you want to recognize such files? The fact that a file is installed
: : in "/usr/pkg/share" doesn't really mean anything.
:
: Actually, it does.  /usr/pkg/share should be shareable across different
: architectures -- and I do share mine (it's actually a symlink to
: /usr/share/pkg).

And this reminds me ... one useful modification to /usr/pkg is to move `man'
and `info' under share and put symlinks in their place.  Though I wouldn't
force this on everyone, it could be a useful switch for pkgsrc &&
pkg_create.