Subject: Re: Proposal: new binary package format
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@lyssa.owl.de>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/30/1999 21:21:08
On 31 May 1999, Matthias Scheler wrote:

: - @config <filename>
:   Files with this tag should
:   - only be deinstalled if a "complete" package removal is requested
:     via a special "make" target or option to "pkg_delete".
:   - not be monitored for checksum changes.
:   - Not be overwritten during "make install" or "pkg_add".

Actually, I believe it should be more along the lines of:

share/foo/bar.conf.example
@config %D/etc/bar.conf

This provides a couple of advantages:

- the currently installed package will always have an example file installed
- the config file can be copied somewhere else, e.g. /etc, without too
  many complications

This is already done for several pkgs, such as Apache.

We also need a directive that allows for conditional removal of directories,
i.e. something that replaces:

@unexec rmdir %D/blah/foo 2>/dev/null || true