Subject: Re: Proposal & new pkglint update
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@pgh.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/28/1999 02:07:28
  Not completely related to this, but while you are changing everything...
would it be possible to add a pkg/TYPE file that gives a very short (one
or two word) description of the type of package (word processor, irc
client, irc server, etc.).  The pkgsrc hierarchy only gives a rough
description, and it would be nice to have a more detailed description of
what the package is, but not necessarily the full COMMENT.  The specific
application I'm thinking of is the "marketing" web page, where it would be
nice to find packages of a particular type and automaticly include
the COMMENT and DESCR files in various places.  It would also be helpful
as an alternate way of locating a package, maybe automaticly generate a
pkgsrc/bytype directory with symlinks to the appropriate packages, html,
and maybe even makefiles.

  I'll even volunteer to go through and suggest a type for all of the
current packages if eveyone else thinks this is a good idea.  I could also
do the autogeneration of bytypes, though it probably wouldn't be much more
then copying the current html generation code and adding the symlinks, so
while you are rewriting everything... or is this something that isn't
going to change?  Or I could just wait until you are done and add it then.

  Would anyone else find this useful?

Matthew Orgass
darkstar@pgh.net