Subject: Re: proposal 3: flexible extract handling
To: None <>
From: Bernd Salbrechter <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/26/1999 00:22:33

On Fri, 21 May 1999 12:05:03 -0400 (EDT) Todd Vierling <> wrote:

> $Revision: 1.1 $
> This proposal defines the following replacement for the handling of
> extraction of distfiles.  These changes depend on proposal 1, recursive make
> overhaul, to prevent executing the evaluation code several times.
> Each distfile listed in ${DISTFILES} will be extracted based on file
> extension. will define the following (which may be expanded into
> a larger list of extensions in a later draft of this proposal).

Will be there a way to nail down the compression and extractions command?
Because taking it from the suffix will be a problem in sources from
news archives. I found some nice things there (i.e. recipes - a set of roff
macros to write cooking recipes.)

Wouldn't it make sense to use the GNU sharutils, they can remove
mailheaders and other garbage befor the archive. I'm working on a few
packages out of "news://*sources" and it's the normal case here to have
some text in front of the shell archive.

Bernd Salbrechter