Subject: Re: gimp depends on emacs?
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@lyssa.owl.de>
From: Gandhi woulda smacked you <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/04/1999 12:45:52
On 4 May 1999, Matthias Scheler wrote:

# In article <Pine.NEB.4.10.9905041030580.17398-100000@himring.draga.com>,
# 	Jim Wise <jwise@draga.com> writes:
# > is a package allowed to work around poor build-tool decisions by the
# > original software vendor?
#
# Yes, why not.
#
# > You seem to argue that we should not,
#
# No, I only say that is not appropriate to prebuild files and hope that
# they will look the same on all possible target systems.

Are you talking about binary distributions?  What is emacs building
in the gimp that can't be shared (I seem to have a /usr/X11/share/gimp
directory sitting around).

# > are we going to do anything about it?
#
# I doubt that we will ever see something except a broken kludge by Berndt.

One character on a line does not a broken kludge make.  It works for him
and he posted what he did to make it work.  Requesting that something like
this be made available in a README somewhere obvious does not strike me
as being particularly unreasonable.

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD: your basement or mine?