Subject: Re: gimp depends on emacs?
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@lyssa.owl.de>
From: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@ping.net.au>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/04/1999 23:34:37
Matthias Scheler wrote

> In article <199905040052.KAA06869@dingo.ping.net.au>,
> 	Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@ping.net.au> writes:
> > No, it doesn't break the creation of the binaries as I've built gimp
> > by this method and used it since.
>
> Read what I wrote:
> >>  ... which will definitely break the creation of the binary package.
>
> If you would have tested your patch properly you have discovered that
> yourself.

I don't need to test the patch! I am use gimp to produce images and this is
the best test and all that matters to me. Perhaps you should try to
follow my instructions and see for yourself.

Here some factuals:

emacs is used to create pdb_dump.texi a file of 320k in size and after this
plays nolonger any part in the build process of gimp.

The consequences for having an empty pdb_dump.texi file is that the
following files are not created and hence don't get installed:

/usr/X11R6/info/pdb.info-1 	~ 1.2kb
/usr/X11R6/info/pdb.info-2 	~ 300kb

These are files which I consider non critical for the operation of gimp...
they are documents and not binaries as claimed by some individuals.

However, in order to build gimp to the specs of the pkgsrc tree, one
needs to download, compile and install emacs. Find below an extract
of system requirements taken from the emacs  "INSTALL" file:

---------------------- emacs-20.2/INSTALL ---------------------------
1) Make sure your system has enough swapping space allocated to handle
a program whose pure code is 900k bytes and whose data area is at
least 400k and can reach 8Mb or more.  If the swapping space is
insufficient, you will get an error in the command `temacs -batch -l
loadup dump', found in `./src/Makefile.in', or possibly when
running the final dumped Emacs.

Building Emacs requires about 70 Mb of disk space (including the Emacs
sources).  Once installed, Emacs occupies about 35 Mb in the file
system where it is installed; this includes the executable files, Lisp
libraries, miscellaneous data files, and on-line documentation.  If
the building and installation take place in different directories,
then the installation procedure momentarily requires 70+35 Mb.

Here you see, that besides the download of 13MB source code, one
needs an additional 105MB of harddisk space to accommodate emacs just
to build a file of 320kb in size. This is an effort which can take
more than 2 hrs on some installation. This is absolutely unreasonable,
especially for those who simply don't have the resources, time and
budget.

The actual generation of pdb_dump.texi using emacs on the other hand
only takes a few seconds - nothing in comparison to the build of
emacs. This is why I pledge to include pdb_dump.texi with the patches.
It's as simple as that and not pro nor contra emacs contrary to the
assumptions made by some.

Let's stop arguing... I've made everyone aware of this situation and
showed possible short-term solutions. Meanwhile, I've uploaded the
missing pdb_info.texi file from my second built of gimp-1.0.2 onto my
ftp server.

Yes I bit the bullet and built emacs-20.2 which I dug up from an
old Gateway CD only to delete it again on completion of building
pdb_dump.texi ;)

This file can be found on

ftp://ftp.ping.net.au/pub/unix/editors/pdb_dump.texi.gz

size = 48449
MD5 (pdb_dump.texi.gz) = 8ab64a701b1a654cc1eee9aa97cfbd6a

To integrate it into your gimp-1.0.2 source tree:

	1.) make extract

	2.) unzip pdb_dump.texi.gz and copy resulting file into
	    ./pkgsrc/graphics/gimp/work/gimp-1.0.2/docs directory

	3.) make

	4.) make install

Hope this helps those who like to take the short-cut ;)

cheerio Berndt
--
Name	: Berndt Josef Wulf
E-Mail	: wulf@ping.net.au