Subject: Re: CPAN Upload: CHIPS/perl5.004_05-MAINT_TRIAL_9.pat.gz
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
From: Jon Buller <jonb@metronet.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/27/1999 22:27:52
Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de> wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Apr 1999, Jon Buller wrote:
> > Now I'm just curious... Why?  What if I'm on tech-pkg only for a
> > subset of the packages (like only the X11 stuff) and have no interest
> > in Perl?
>
> What if someone is only on tech-pkg for the perl related things, and he
> wants to know when there's something new? Fact is, we don't have a person
> maintaining perl, and as we don't want to just drop the information, we're
> getting them via tech-pkg.

Well, he could subscribe tech-pkg and the perl mailing list...  It
doesn't really matter that much to me, since I do have a passing
interest in perl.  However, this makes me worry (only slightly)
that tech-pkg will become a dumping ground for the announce lists
for all orphan packages, and that number is not necessarily bounded.

> Of course you're free to ignore all the messages on tech-pkg regarding
> what you are not for on this list.

I am aware of that. 8-) Procmail would make it even easier if I
really wasn't interested in the traffic.  But I could just as easily
send a subscribe message to another majordomo server.  If it ever
becomes a problem for my 28.8Kbps modem to deal with the extra
traffic, I'll just unsubscribe from tech-pkg.  I doubt that will
ever be necessary.

Jon