Subject: Re: Error building QT
To: None <tv@POBOX.COM>
From: John Darrow <John.P.Darrow@wheaton.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/27/1999 12:37:14
In article <Pine.NEB.4.05.9904271302510.16357-100000@duhnet.net>,
    Todd Vierling wrote:
>On Tue, 27 Apr 1999, Fischer, Roger wrote:

>: my /etc/mk.conf has the following line in it.
>: X11BASE=$[LOCALBASE]
>:
>: I guess I just comment this out?

>Yes.  That line is not valid _at all_, as X11BASE is used to find the X11
>includes (...and why qt will not build).

>The only valid way to do that is by using USE_LOCALBASE_FOR_X11 (which
>implicitly activates xpkgwedge, which currently does not work properly).

I sent in the pr for xsrc which fixed the imake part of xpkgwedge, which
was applied sometime in early April.  Since xsrc isn't branched, the 1.4
release sets should include this fix.

I've got a revamped xpkgwedge pkg (along with some corresponding patches
to bsd.pkg.mk) which both fixes the "xpkgwedge depends on itself" problem
and more clearly explains the difficulty with app-defaults files (among
other things, it removes the bogus recommendation in the old xpkgwedge
package to put multiple ':'-separated paths in the XAPPLRESDIR (I think)
variable - examination of the X src shows that this doesn't work).  The
patches to bsd.pkg.mk also make gnu-configure packages Just Work with
or without xpkgwedge in place, and provide another variable which can be
passed to the packages telling where the package-installed X based libraries
are (e.g. those normally installed by packages in X11BASE, but forced into
LOCALBASE by xpkgwedge), thus allowing dependencies on them without having
to resort to .ifdef(USE_LOCALBASE_FOR_X11) gymnastics in the package
Makefiles.

I intended to send-pr it, along with trivial fixes for a number of other
packages to work with the new setup, but got held up by a combination of
another project and the flu...  I'll update them to a more recent version
of bsd.pkg.mk and send them in, hopefully in time that the released pkgsrc
of 1.4 will pull them in.

jdarrow

--
John Darrow
Computing Services, Wheaton College, Wheaton, IL