Subject: Re: handling "optional" features in packages which add dependencies
To: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/26/1999 08:41:02
On Sun, 25 Apr 1999, Greg A. Woods wrote:

: For now I've patched pgsql's configure.in not to look for ncurses or
: sfio, and have added ".if defined(USE_READLINE)"

A better fix would be for us to add the functionality you're seeking in
readline to libedit.  The latter is really meant to be a complete
replacement for the former.

: I.e. have a PKG_{add-on} variable that controls the default use of an
: add-on dependant for any other package that might use it, and then have
: PKG_{parent-pkg}_{add-on} that can override the default for a given
: dependant in some specific package.  This gets very verbose though.

There is one that might fit this scheme better: libgettext.