Subject: newbie question about upgrading pkgtools
To: 'tech-pkg@netbsd.org' <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Fischer, Roger <RFischer@PanAmSat.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/22/1999 18:24:31
I've got a (stupid?) question about upgrading the
package tools for Netbsd.

If I sup the /usr/pkgsrc directory, and I need to
move up to newer pkgtools, do I need to remove the
old ones first?
(i.e.
	cd /usr/pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_add
	make deinstall
	make clean
	make install?

If I deinstall the pkg_add command, how can I install
the newly built package? (I told you it was stupid!)

What's the difference between "make deinstall" and "pkg_delete somepkg.tgz"

What's the difference between "make install" and "make reinstall"?

If I do a "make" in the "/usr/pkgsrc/pkgtools" directory, will it make
everything beneath it?

some of this might make more sense to me if I had more programming
experience, but I don't.  So far I've been very impressed with the
package system, but I'm still a little confused where the general
compiling and "make" commands leave off, and where the "package system"
begins.  It seems kind of like a big cloud to me.

Thanks for listening to my rambling,

Roger

Roger G. Fischer                    PanAmSat Corp.
Systems Engineer                    Satellite Operations
http://www.panamsat.com             Long Beach, CA