Subject: Re: strange permissions difference between /var/db/pkg and the package archive
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/21/1999 15:11:49
[ On Wednesday, April 21, 1999 at 21:00:32 (+0200), Hubert Feyrer wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: strange permissions difference between /var/db/pkg and the  package archive
>
> I have an odd feeling that the files in pkgsrc are used for the tar-file,
> NOT the ones in /var/db/pkg.

Yes, exactly.  That's why pkg_add has to clean their permissions up
*after* it puts them in /var/db/pkg.

I doubt it really matters too much what ownership they have in the
package.tgz file.  It might be nice to have some sort of out-of-band
mechanism for comparing MD5s on such files, but that's a separate
issue.

Actually now that I've seen how the newer version of pkg_add puts them
there, this ownership cleanup could be an optional feature of the
move_file() function it uses to install them.

> Then wait.
> We're now aware of the fact, and are more than busy with 1.4 as well. :)

OK!  Go 1.4!

--
							Greg A. Woods