Subject: Re: strange permissions difference between /var/db/pkg and the package archive
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/21/1999 13:24:02
[ On Wednesday, April 21, 1999 at 13:34:30 (+0200), Hubert Feyrer wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: strange permissions difference between /var/db/pkg and the  package archive
>
> On Tue, 20 Apr 1999, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > Yes, the "make package" and the "pkg_add" were both run by root.
>
> I think the problem is that the tar-file is created by reading the
> INSTALL-file from pkgsrc/foo/bar/pkg/INSTALL (etc.), not from
> /var/db/pkg/bar-x.y/+INSTALL.

Hmmm....  That's wrong, isn't it?  There is an +INSTALL file already in
/var/db/pkg on the build machine, though of course keeping +INSTALL on
the binary machine will kind of round out this feature.

I'll try sorting this out and send-pr'ing a patch that'll fix this -- it
should be trivial to make it do the right thing, which will also fix the
problem of not having the +INSTALL script on the binary machines.  I'm
getting quite a bit behind on tracking pkgsrc though, so perhaps I
should put this off until I get a chance to update to the latest again...

As for adding code that can re-create the package on a binary-only
machine, well I'll probably not have time to tackle that just yet....
There are lots worse problems I'd like to fix first, such as getting
more packages ported from FreeBSD!  ;-)

What about renaming the foo/pkg/REQ script to be consistent?  There is
only one example in the tree so far (postgresql), though there probably
should be more use of this feature.

(It's really too bad there isn't one common *BSD pkg/ports maintenance
group -- then every *BSD would win whenever one of them added a new
package to the tree, even if it took some time to get all architectures
working as well as the first porter's favourite, something we're no
better at anyway.  This "porting" of ports from FreeBSD is tiring and
mostly unnecessary if it weren't for "techno-political" differences in
the ways each have solved more recent problems.)

--
							Greg A. Woods