Subject: Re: FUBARed by overly protective check in pkg_add.....
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/17/1999 11:21:56
[ On Saturday, April 17, 1999 at 02:42:50 (-0400), Andrew Brown wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: FUBARed by overly protective check in pkg_add.....
>
> yes, it does...almost.  i tried using them both on the same machine
> (with the builtin fallback mechanism) and it works almost seemlessly.
> almost.  scp (from a v2 client to a v1 server) is hopelessly broken
> because the ssh client steps back but does not tell scp that it has
> done so, so the remote command sent is for scp version 2.  which is,
> of course, incompatible.

If I remember correctly that bug has been reported several times on the
SSH user's list and is claimed to be fixed for the next release, when/if
that ever comes to be....  Having briefly looked at the code I doubt
it's too difficult to fix, but I'm personally not upgrading to v2 until
at least the next SSH release, and hopefully not until GNU lsh is also
fully interoperable with it.

(I.e. this is a bug that needs to be fixed, not a reason for permanently
fiddling with which release's binary you invoke by default!  ;-)

--
							Greg A. Woods