Subject: Re: Packages won't built, as of today...
To: Mason Loring Bliss <>
From: Bill Squier <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/14/1999 22:32:37
In message <>, Mason Loring Bliss writes:
>Hi, all.
>As of today, with a fresh build, packages don't build. They break near
>the end of installation, immediately after I see the message [Automatic
>a.out shared object handling.]

Looks like this line is the culprit:

cnt=`${EGREP} -c -x '@exec[     ]*${LDCONFIG}' ${PLIST}`; \

which in my limited reading of the pkgsrc makefiles tests to see if
an "@exec /sbin/ldconfig" has been added to the end of work/.PLIST.

At that point in the makefile, it's already detected that there ARE
shared libraries and that ldconfig would need to be run.

Unfortunately, egrep produces a NON-ZERO exit code in the case when
no lines match -- causing the makefile to fail at that point.

Changing the line to:

cnt=`${EGREP} -c -x '@exec[     ]*${LDCONFIG}' ${PLIST} || ${TRUE}`; \

seems to do the trick.

Of course, similar problems would result in the "ELF" case-- so I guess
the change should be made there as well.