Subject: Dynamic calculation of shared object types
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Alistair G. Crooks <agc@ftp.netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/13/1999 07:30:24
I've just committed some changes to bsd.pkg.mk which calculate the
type of shared objects dynamically, once, at install time. This
means that we no longer need the SHLIB_TYPE definition from the
pkgsrc copy of bsd.own.mk, and so we now use the system copy, i.e.
<bsd.own.mk> aka /usr/share/mk/bsd.own.mk.

In making the changes, I've also fixed the ldconfig handling for
a.out systems.  This was broken before, adding ldconfig lines to
the generated PLIST, and not adding them if they didn't already
exist. It's rather funny that no-one noticed before that they were
broken - I guess it shows that the -rpath mechanism works well.
I've also ignored the return code from ldconfig - until very
recently, ldconfig could return non-zero values to its caller, even
if it had functioned perfectly correctly.

The ldconfig handling will go away at a later date, but for now
we'll keep it for (very old) backwards compatibility.

As usual, I don't foresee any problems, so send-pr as usual, please,
if you should find any. There again, I didn't foresee the bzcat and
symlink buggette, so you never know.

Thanks,
Alistair