Subject: Re: Mosaic dependency, and a larger picture...
To: Hubert Feyrer <feh39068@rrzc1.rz.uni-regensburg.de>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/12/1999 23:11:08
On Tue, 13 Apr 1999, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> > I was wondering... Would it be feasable to have a dependency database that
> > would track what packages require what other packages, so that someone up-
> > grading a particular package would know right off that these other packages
> > need to be updated to build with the new package? This would seem to be a
> > useful tool.
>
> Hum, right now this information is only available at runtime (i.e. after a
> package is already installed).
>
> It shouldn't be too hard to scan all DEPENDS to get a clue which packges
> require another package, the question is, how does this benefit us.
> How do you intend to use that database then?

	The pkg_check script I've written provides this information.
	It would be a useful tool for those who update packages.

	I've also added a 'check distfiles' option so you can work out
	what outdated distfiles your machine has :)

> The thing I've been thinking about was to add something like USE_XXX for
> pkgs that are needed by "some" others, where the number of "some" is -
> well, not fixed. :-) When someone upgrades a package, he bumps the version
> of the DEPENDS (or BUILD_DEPENDS, ...) line in bsd.pkg.mk for the USE_XXX,
> and that's it. Just like it works for perl & gtexinfo now.
>
> This should save some headaches like the one for these popular gfx pkgs
> like png, xpm, tiff, jpeg etc. just as it does for texinfo & perl already
> now. There sure are others - if for nothing else, the above-mentioned
> dependency-database could give some inputs here which they are.

	Hmm... it might be more maintenance and 'magic' values,
	particularly as it will not apply to all packages (depending on
	the value of "some" :).

	I'd prefer to just have a tool which people can use after
	upgrading a package.

	The current version is at:
		ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/incoming/abs/pkg_check

	It has some 'local subroutines', but they should be ignored OK.

	Feedback more than welcome!

		David/absolute

	Abandoning a syncing disk... or syncing an abandoned disk?